Even when you hire professional movers, moving is a long, tiring process. You have to organize your belongings, pack everything in your house, and move everything to your new home, as well as handle all of your normal everyday responsibilities, so it's normal to be exhausted during a move. Fortunately, there are a few things that you can do to make the moving process simple.
Pack an Overnight Bag
Chances are, by the time all of your belongings arrive at your new home you'll be tired. You may not want to begin the unpacking process. If you have all of your essentials packed in an overnight bag, unpacking your boxes can wait until tomorrow. Some things you should pack in separate bags or bins include:
- Clothes for the following day
- Towels and washcloths
- A few of your children's favorite toys
Use Plastic Wrap
When you're packing up your belongings, plastic wrap can be used in numerous ways.
- Cover your dresser drawers with plastic wrap instead of emptying the contents into moving boxes. This way, you don't have to pack, unpack, and refold the contents of the drawers.
- Wrap plastic wrap around your jewelry display to keep your jewelry intact during your move.
- Buy a large roll of stretch wrap. Stretch wrap is plastic wrap designed on a large scale so that it's ideal for moving. Stack smaller boxes together. Then, wrap them in stretch wrap so that they can be moved all at once. You can also use stretch wrap to cover your furniture for added protection.
Color Coordinate Your Boxes
Assign a color to each room of your new home. For example, yellow for your kitchen, orange for your dining room, and red for your living room. Then, attach a colored sticker to your boxes as you pack to indicate where the box belongs. Place a matching sticker on the door to the room. This way, it's easy for the movers to place each box in the correct room when they arrive at your new house.
Number Your Boxes
Take inventory as you pack so that you know if anything is missing when you arrive to your new home. Simply, write down the contents of your boxes as you pack and assign each box a number. After the movers have brought everything into your new home, take a quick inventory by counting the boxes.
The key to making a household move simple is organization. The more organized you are, the easier the moving process will be on you and your family. So, don't try to cram everything that you need to accomplish into a few days time. Instead, take the time to plan your move gradually, so that when the moving company arrives everything in your home is organized and packed properly.